While in the pursuit of happiness,
one should stop -
and just be happy . . .

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Yesterday





Yesterday, a record was broken when the temperature reached 80 degrees. That beat the 187?? record of 79 degrees. Joe and I took advantage of the nice weather and spent the afternoon and evening at Rocky River. Joe put fertilizer and lime on the yard. Then, he made and hung a swing from the one and only limb we've been able to find that fit the bill. To make sure it was safe for the grands, we each took a turn to make sure it was adequate. Works great! While he planted some southern magnolias, I made two BIG piles of brush -- one down on the sandbar and the other on the hill above it. Joe cleaned up a bit and went to Spencer to return some things Hugh had left after the building project and to go to Chas' game. While he was gone, I studied my seminary lesson. I was on the back porch and all of Winton Hillis' cows were right across the river. It was such a pretty scene. I noticed a little calf that was close to the bank of the river. After a little while, it became obvious that it was really interested in getting to the water. It would try one spot, chicken out, and try another as it walked right along the edge. Something spooked it at one point and it ran like crazy. I thought that had put an end to it's adventurous spirit. Iwent inside for a few minutes and as I came back out, I heard a big splash, and all the cows took off. I looked up the river and sure enough, there was the calf. It started walking up the river and I hurried to catch up with it to see if it was going to have to have help to get back to the pasture. I watched it until it was out of sight, walked all the way to where I could see the bridge and never saw it anywhere. There were some gradually sloping places upriver, and I'm guessing it got its footing on one of those and made it's way back to the pasture. Moral of the story: don't get too close to the edge. It was nearly dark when Joe got back but we decided to burn one of the brush piles anyway. It was all dead stuff and we knew it would burn quickly. It was a really pretty fire and to add to that, there was a beautiful full moon that came up over the mountain. It was a warm, beautiful night.

No comments:

Post a Comment