While in the pursuit of happiness,
one should stop -
and just be happy . . .

Monday, March 15, 2010

Is Joe in this video?

I found this youtube video taken in Vietnam in 1968. I am trying to convince myself that I am in it. The video is of my old warehouse compound in Chu Lai. The unit is mine, PACEX (for Pacific Exchange). However, I came home in February, 1968. The video says 1968 but I don't know if it was all shot at once or not. The ending scene says November, 1968 and that could not have included me.

The character appears a little over three minutes into the clip. He is dressed in the old style fatigue uniform which I always wore, even though most people wore the newer, looser, no-shape-to-them uniform, and his rank indicates he is a First Lieutenant, which would have been right. I was promoted in January, 1968 to First Lieutenant. Also, his rank insignia is the metal one, rather than the black sewed on version that someone would have worn after he had a chance to get his uniforms changed. I don't recognize anyone else in the video though--not even the other officer walking with "me".

See what you think.

5 comments:

  1. If it's not you, then it's gotta be Matthew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can neither confirm nor deny that. All my time is Vietnam is strictly classified. I would be careful even suggesting such a thing on the internet..."someone" may be listening....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe left a message for the fellow who posted the video. He received this response this morning (April 2):

    Hey LT... I can't believe I'm hearing from one of the old Pacex members. I remember you... cloudily of course. It's been 42 years. You are the first I've heard from who was with the unit at the same time I was. I keep thinking that you had been a seminary student.... is that right? I forget your replacement's name... but it will come to me. He stuck around longer.
    -- Cpl./Sgt. Fuller USMC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely Joe Moffitt. I had no doubt that was you! Billye thought you looked a lot like Matthew. That was great! --Tim

    (sent via e-mail)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw you on the Chu Lai video. That’s amazing that you would have gone into that web site and found your video. You looked content and of course I recognized the smile. Opal

    (sent via e-mail)

    ReplyDelete