While in the pursuit of happiness,
one should stop -
and just be happy . . .

Friday, February 20, 2009

Nonna Debby’s January News

Well, do you remember last month that I told you I wasn’t quite sure how we would proceed with our goal to write to you monthly? I was right. I had no idea that we would start doing it in a blog format. But, since Julee is quite persuasive (“Mom, it’s time for you to enter the 21st Century!") - and since she has set one up for us - that’s what we’ll be doing going forward. She’s going to teach us how to manage it while she’s here week after next. So, we’ll send you the info once we’re ready to start receiving company.

We survived the holidays and would like to have settled in for a long winter’s nap, but life’s routines quickly returned and we got busy with the business of living. Blake headed back to U.T. on the Saturday after New Year’s Day. We’d had him with us for a good little stint and it was a sad to see him leave.

Joe and I spent the night at Rocky River on the 9th with the hopes of doing some work on Saturday. It was a total washout, though. We rented a movie, Bucket List, and watched it that night. Afterwards, we talked a little bit about what’s on our lists. That night, there was one of the most beautiful skies I’ve ever seen. It was as crisp and as clear as could be. It was so bright with the moon and all the stars that the river and the surroundings were just beautiful. I drove into town on Saturday for an in-service meeting only to find out that no one else had come. I called Lori and had her check my e-mail (one of the disadvantages of being at the Little House), and sure ‘nuff, the meeting had been cancelled. Bro. Halverson’s wife was threatening a much-too-early delivery of their fifth child, so he was staying close to home. Joe stayed at Rocky River because we had planned to go to the Bluegrass Concert that night – not for the concert – just for some cheeseburgers – so I drove back out there to get him and go to the Rocky River Community Center. That’s the second time we’ve been and it was nice to see some folks we don’t see often and to meet some new ones. Cheryl Hitchcock, her dad, and one of her daughters ate at our table and it was nice to catch up with them. Cheryl is now Dr. Cheryl Hitchcock and she teaches at MTSU. I also visited with Dr. Hamblen a little bit. I hadn’t seen him in quite a while, but he is still as jolly as ever.

The next week was really, really cold. I decided I’d have the fixin’s for hot chocolate for my seminary class on those bitter cold mornings. I enlisted Lori’s help and she made some marshmallows for us. The first batch turned out to be more like marshmallow taffy, but boy, was it good. The second batch was more like marshmallows. Timing is everything.

During that really cold snap, our geothermal unit quit working again. We’ve decided that it’s no wonder that those things are touted as saving money on your electric bill. They stop working when it gets really cold – well, at least ours has! That results in a huge savings!!!

Brett spoke in Sacrament Meeting on the 18th on the importance of having and keeping high standards. He did a really good job.

For Blake’s birthday, we watched all the pomp and circumstance surrounding the Inauguration unfold on TV. It really was something. (I don’t think I’ll ever forget that hat)! I’m sure that the Secret Service was relieved when it was over. Me, too. I sure didn’t want some nut to do something awful. Now, there’s the business for praying for this new president and those he has chosen to work with him. I know Rush Limbaugh has taken a lot of heat for saying he hopes he fails. I certainly don’t – unless what he is pushing for is not in the best interest of this country. I will pray that he will be blessed with wisdom.

The new season of Lost began on the 21st. Lori and Holly, were you the ones who got us hooked on that show? Thanks a lot. Joe quit on me last year and couldn’t be talked into starting this season. All I know is that when this thing finally ends, it better make some kind of sense. It looks hopeless to me.

On Friday the 23rd, Joe, Brett, and I left on a shopping trip – all made possible because of Local Sales Network. Joe has been looking for a little pickup for several months. He found one he liked in Cookeville. Brett found a guitar he wanted in Cookeville. As it turns out, they were both pretty good shoppers and pretty good negotiators. I, on the other hand, am no good at such things. The night before we went, there was a Tacoma advertised in Smithville. I told Joe about it when he got home and he called to set up a time to see it. I’ve also been looking for a small kitchen table and chairs to use at the Little House. I thought I’d found what I was looking for in Sparta. Long story short: Joe bought a 2001 Nissan Frontier from a really nice fellow who works in Cookeville.

Brett traded an amp plus cash for an electric guitar from a nice guy who works in Cookeville. The little Tacoma in Smithville? Friendly fellow, but what a piece of junk! I couldn’t believe he showed up with that thing looking like it did. Let’s see – we would have had to replace the windshield, front bumper, tailgate, front seat, tires, wheel covers, side mirrors – and those were just the things we took note of in the very quick few minutes it took to say, “No way!” The table and chairs in Sparta? Not a bad deal, but the house they were in was ge-ross. I could have cleaned them up, but I’m not sure they would have ever stopped smelling like cigarette smoke. The guy was nice, though. After we left Smithville, we treated Brett to a fine dining experience at Silver Point – The Rose Garden Restaurant. Since I’m on a mission to eat as many cheeseburgers at as many places as I can – that’s all I’ve ever eaten there. Boy, are they good!

That night, Brett and his friend, Russell camped out on the sand bar at Rocky River. Joe and I camped out in the house. Brett’s car spent the night in the yard. We got there right after they did and our jaws dropped when we saw the predicament he was in – and the mess in the newly sown lawn. Whaaaat!!???? Why???!!!!! Didn’t see it?????!!!! Didn’t know?????!!!!! All these things shall give us experience – and hopefully we learn from them – and hopefully, never repeat a good many of them!!!!

The next morning when it came time to try to undo the damage, it thankfully went MUCH better than anticipated. After a BIG breakfast, we got some clearing done down at the end of the driveway. The boys were a BIG help. They discovered an old road sign in some of the tangled-up mess. It states, One Lane Bridge. It’s bent a little and has a few bullet holes in it (imagine that), but otherwise still quite useable. So therefore, since it is a piece of history, we’ll need to find a home for it. And no, Brett, not on the living room wall.

Brett started taking guitar lessons from a guy in town and is really enjoying the experience. He’s learning quite a bit. His classes at Motlow are going well and he is continuing his weekly trek to M’boro for Institute Class.

We went to the civic center in Oak Ridge to watch Blake’s basketball team continue their undefeated season. The Whites and the Shepherds joined us. We formed quite a cheering section. Betsy made dinner for all of us and we met at the White House for some yummy soup and sandwiches. She also made some really good cupcakes. It was fun to be with everyone.

The following Saturday, Lori and William came by to get me on their way to Grandma M’s house. We helped her make a b’day lunch for Joe. He, Brett, and Gracie joined us a little later. Everything was delicious, as always, and – as always – we brought home leftovers that we continued to enjoy. Brett and Gracie rode back with Lori, and Joe and I went to Rocky River. We now have two more big piles of brush to burn. We didn’t clear as much territory as we’d hoped because of a saw brier/grapevine jungle where we were working. It was AWFUL!

But, we won.

No comments:

Post a Comment