While in the pursuit of happiness,
one should stop -
and just be happy . . .

Friday, February 20, 2009

Pa Joe’s January News

January is when we get our price lists printed and mailed to our customers. We have about 100 or so repeat customers. We have even had a few calls inquiring as to why they haven’t received it yet (good sign!). We also mail to a few hopefuls every year; people who have never ordered but continue to want to stay on our mailing list (I call to ask). I suppose they just need something with which to make paper airplanes. This year I have spent a lot of rainy day time calling potential customers and asking if they would like to be added to our mailing. So far I have gone from A through J using switchboard.com nursery listings for the state of North Carolina. 200 more nurseries want copies of our pricelist. There are only 16 more letters to go through North Carolina and then only 49 more states.

I went with my friend David Smith to Rocky River on the 14th. He donated all of the metal roofing that went under the concrete slabs that make up our porches—both front and back—and he wanted to see what happened to his contribution. He was impressed with the place and kept saying that we shouldn’t have any trouble renting it. We hope he is a good predictor. David is a great friend and hard worker. In a pinch, he is good to have on your side. I appreciate his comments at church. He is one who is in the middle of the work. There are many who talk but he is one who works.

We continue to work at Rocky River every time we get a chance. We have spent a few week-ends there and would be there more, if possible. We have cleared away a lot of brush and trees—leaving the larger and preferred species. The place is overgrown with saw brier and wild grape vines. We have slashed and burned. I guess if Agent Orange were available, we might try it.

I know that no one would guess by looking but this was the month I applied to receive social security. I hope all of you can keep your jobs and keep contributing. Every time you read your Social Security withholding column on your pay stub, just ask yourself “I wonder what Dad/Joe and Mom/Debby are doing with that money?” We will try to enjoy it just as much as you would want us to.

On Sunday the 25th I spoke in the sacrament meeting in Murfreesboro at the Stones River First Ward. I saw several old friends. I got to tell a few old stories to people who may not have heard them before. If they have they probably make allowances. I enjoyed telling stories of my little kids with their tithing jars. We always tried to have change on hand so that when we paid someone for work, there was correct change for them to put in their tithing jar. I am sure no one else has ever thought of that.

On the 29th we went to Oak Ridge to see an undefeated basketball team at work (not to be confused with UT). Blake’s community league team was playing and we were invited. They won, of course, and he had a good game. The Shepherds and Whites were there and we made a pretty good sized cheering section in the bleachers. There were only a few other spectators there so we really stood out. Blake said that someone asked him who we were and he replied that it was “some of his family.” He said that they looked again and said –“Just some of them?!?” Of course we all know that there are a lot more where we came from!

After the game we went over to the White’s where Betsy provided supper for the gang. We had a great time eating and visiting. We learned a new way to use our George Foreman grill—hot ham and cheese sandwiches. It was great to relax with people we love. In case Blake has forgotten, I think he is going to attend church at Oak Ridge and keep Christy company when Eric is away on assignment. I hate to be a nag, but…..

It looks like Brett and I are going to go with a work party into Kentucky in the aftermath of the ice storm. As of Sunday, every member of the Paducah, Kentucky stake of the church was without power. I am sure many will have power by the end of the week but the need for men with chain saws to remove downed trees and broken limbs will still be there. We are going with a group of men from church.

No comments:

Post a Comment