While in the pursuit of happiness,
one should stop -
and just be happy . . .

Friday, February 20, 2009

Pa Joe’s News

In November we went to work moving dirt around to prepare to sow grass in the lawn at “Little House”. It is amazing how many times you can move it around—dragging it away—dragging it back—just trying to get the slope right so that rain water will wash into the river and not into the house. Finally we sowed grass seed—Kentucky 31 fescue—and covered it as best we could by dragging wooden shipping pallets around the yard several times. Then the leaves fell from the trees and covered the lawn area almost completely. I thought they would have to be raked or all the seed would die underneath. However, little did I know that a 6” rain was on its way. It fell over a period of 2 days and washed all the leaves off the yard and into the river. Of course, it also took some seeds with it. But, we have green spots showing in the lawn now.

We went out to observe the rise of the river during the two days of the big rain. We stood on the back porch and watched good sized trees zoom by in the river beneath. The water was about 2’ below the bank on the opposite side of the river. Debby kept saying things like “Is it too late to get flood insurance?” But, all is well. The water quickly swept by on its way to the Caney Fork of the Cumberland, on to the Cumberland, on to the Ohio, the Mississippi, and the Gulf to evaporate and come back to us again as rain.

We have removed a lot more brush and moved our cleared line down to the persimmon tree. Our last brush burn was out in the field where we have had a dozer pile since we built the driveway. We hope to do as much as possible during the winter while the snakes are asleep. Tractor and chain saw repairs are a continuous hindrance to our progress.

I have done some additional insulating in the utility room. The hot water heater is out there and I don’t want any freezes. I hate plumbing! I have put in enough shelves there to insure that whatever tool I need at Shangri La is stored at Little House—and vice versa of course.

A Rocky River highlight has been the planting of four muscadine vines. That little event is as much a symbol of ownership as a woman picking lint off a man’s suit. I have some tame blackberry varieties ordered and will be planting them in the next few days. I hope to add a few fruit trees soon. I am going to try my hand at grafting some pears. I would like to reproduce some of Eric’s and also graft from Glenn’s tree. I also have some Concord grape cuttings rooting in the sand along the river bank.

Debby wrote about the big shoot out at Rocky River. Kyle Stuart, who owns an arsenal of weapons, brought four rifles out to the property so he and Blake could do some target shooting. One of the guns was a Russian SKS that shoots a 7.62 mm cartridge similar to the army’s M-14 from early Vietnam days. Soon Eric got into it and I shot the .22 a little. Debby is so proud of herself. She fired away with the .22 rifle and blasted a milk jug to smithereens. She told me that Kyle had taught her how to shoot. I had tried before to no avail. Kyle was the best teacher. While diagnosing her problem, he discovered that she was closing the wrong eye as she sighted down the barrel. I admit, I never thought to check for that. She discovered that she has to shoot left handed. She can’t close her left eye and keep the right one open.

I got to help Eric with a couple of cow events in the last few months. Sometimes I miss the cows (like when I drive by the neighbors and see a new calf). But chasing Eric’s cow around the field reminded me that my best days for such things are over. I had fun watching HIM deliver the new baby. I was impressed with the efficiency of the new handling facilities he has built around the barn.

Another highlight was the week that Glenn, Debby, and I redid Grandma Miller’s bathroom. It was good to spend the time with Glenn. I am sure that during that week I was with him more than I had been in the past 25 years combined. Grandma Miller kept us fed so well during the week that we were almost sad to see the project completed. I was glad to be the helper and admire Glenn’s skills. Re-modeling is much harder than building. He has patience as well as ability.

On the night that Joe Caten passed away we received a phone call. It was the night that we were expecting the Andersons and Blatters to arrive. We expected them to be here around 12:30. Instead, the phone rang at 12:30. My first thought was that something was wrong with their arrival and they were calling to let us know they would be later. But, Brian Caten’s voice was at the other end and he sounded distressed. He blurted out that he was on his way to the hospital and that his mother was with him. He then said that they thought his dad had just died. His voice was breaking up and I could tell that he was scared. I also knew that he wanted to talk. I kept him on the phone as long as I could and said good-night to him just minutes before the Anderson/Blatter travelers walked in the back door.

Debby and I discussed whether we should dress and go on to the hospital. The discussion was whether they would want to be alone at that private time or whether they needed to share their grief. We quickly decided to go and were leaving just as our company arrived.

We were so glad we went. I was reminded once again that it isn’t enough to pray for something when you have the power in you to “do” something. Darlene immediately embraced us as did Brian and Justin (who was there also). We talked, shared their grief, prayed together and gave blessings.

I think it really is possible to “bear one another’s burdens”. In the process of comforting a hurting one I believe that some of the grief is transferred to you. The vehicle that makes the transfer possible is love. When you really care for the other person, and they know it, their burden becomes a little lighter and somehow, yours isn’t any greater. In fact, you seem to feel your strength increase and feel love flow.

For the last couple of months I have been working with the boy scouts on Wednesday evenings. I am the merit badge counselor for all of the citizenship merit badges. The current project for them is “citizenship in the nation”. Adrian is the scoutmaster and I am impressed with his organizational skill (yes, Adrian!) and his determination to give the boys a great experience. For instance, one of the requirements for the merit badge is that the boys visit a federal facility. It can be anything. One of the parents even suggested visiting the post office. But, Adrian made arrangements for a visit at Arnold Engineering Center’s space center. The boys had the Air Force tour, saw the vastness of the wind tunnel testing facilities, etc….. I have enjoyed the boys. There are usually about 10 of them for the meetings and they have been good participants.

During November and December I have given nine patriarchal blessings. It is a wonderful experience for me to visit with families and individuals when things are going well and they are filled with hope. I just wish my memory were better so that when I meet some of these people a week later I could recall their names.

It has been a good year for us. Since July, we have been able to be with all our children. We made a Virginia visit to be with Julee’s family, we had the Bryce family here for some extended time, we had a lot of time with Moffitt kids in October, Thanksgiving here and in Knoxville, and a really nice get together here at Christmas. We quite often have someone ask if there has ever been a time when all 12 kids and their families were together. There hasn’t been. With so many of us there will probably always be distance, sickness, other commitments and other loved ones that need some of us. But, we love you all and know that we are loved.

Have a great month and the happiest of new years –

No comments:

Post a Comment