While in the pursuit of happiness,
one should stop -
and just be happy . . .

Friday, May 15, 2009

Pa Joe's April 2009 Memories

Debby, Lori and William left for Virginia on April 3. They went up to spend spring break with Mandy’s and Julee’s families. Debby was excited about the visit but apprehensive about the drive with Will along. I sure missed her but was glad she could go.

Brett and I were left on our own, so I got out the skillet and started frying stuff. We had country ham and a few other things that usually get frowned on around here.

On April 10, the ward at church had their annual “chili cook-off.” I took a pot of really good chili. I didn’t stay to see who won the contest, but I did just happen to notice that all of mine was gone. The best chili ever is made with 2 lbs or so of ground beef, brown and pour off the fat, add some cut up onion and a couple of cans of diced tomatoes and a couple of cans of red beans. Also add one can of the tomato & green chili mixture (Rotel like but I use the cheap Wal-mart version). Add a couple of tablespoons of chili powder and about ¼ cup of honey. Don’t get scared that you didn’t add enough chili powder if it doesn’t look red/brown enough to suit you. It will get redder as it simmers. Let it simmer for a couple of hours or so.

I had a talk at Cookeville on the Sunday after Debby returned from Virginia. I was to speak on how the atonement and sacrifice of Jesus Christ blesses our lives. I wanted to emphasize that the Savior’s suffering was not just to make the next life better, for those who repent, but it was to make this life better also. I told the story of “The Girl in the Picture”. For those of you who want the original story, you can ask Google about it – He knows everything. For everyone else, this is a condensed version of the story.

There were thousands of pictures taken by photo journalists and troops during the Vietnam War. However, one of them earned the photographer the Pulitzer Prize. And, for most of us, if we were asked to think of one picture that is etched into our memory banks from that era, it would be of the little girl running down a village street, naked because her clothing has been burned from her, with up stretched hands and a look of fear, panic, and agony on her face. She is surrounded by other fleeing villagers and South Vietnamese troops. This one picture, more than any other thing, led to the US withdrawal from South Vietnam.

She now lives in Canada, has embraced the Christian faith, and writes and lectures about her experiences and her search for peace. It was in her search that she began to study the teachings of Jesus Christ. It was during her study of forgiveness that she found the peace for which she had searched. I was reminded by this story that the atonement of Christ heals the sinner when he repents. It heals the injured, when he forgives.

However, the best talk at church in April was given by Chas. I went to primary to observe him READ a well written talk—lots of big words—that he read flawlessly. He didn’t have it memorized, he read it. He is four years old. Yep, I’m bragging!

An end to an era (the cow era) came on the 24th. I went to help Eric gets his cattle rounded up for sale. He has sold the herd and most are gone. It brought back memories to see some of the old cows and remember when they were born. I am glad to see Eric able to focus on other areas of life.

I enjoyed being at Opal’s for mom’s birthday breakfast. Her brother and sister were there and lots of cousins. It was nice to visit with family that I seldom see.

I also did my annual trip to the health fair this month. I went while Debby was in Virginia so I don’t have her numbers to compare to this year. My cholesterol was a little high but not alarmingly so. My triglycerides number indicates I need to quit frying country ham and walk more.

The lily business has been slower this year; but, I am moving slower also. I guess things are just about right. We are thankful for the rain and sunshine. Our little garden is coming along. Debby is enjoying her seminary kids and I am enjoying our conversations around her lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment